This semester grade calculator will help you calculate your semester grades based on your quarterly grades and final grade weighting percentages.
How To Calculate Semester Grade
Class grades are calculated based on weighted average of your quarterly grades and final grades.
1) Calculate my Semester grade: If you already have your finals grade handy, then you can calculate your semester grade by factoring in your weighted quarter grades and final grades.
2) What do I have to get on the exam?: Because your final exam grades aren’t available until the very end, it isn’t included when calculating your current overall grade. So, all the other categories are factored in to calculate the minimum grade you need to score on the final exam.
Determining your semester grade
- To determine your semester grade in a course, we must first explore how the parts of the semester are weighted for a course. If we have a semester grade that is weighted 40% for first quarter, 40% for second quarter, and 20% for a final exam, then we need to begin by changing the percentages into decimals:
40%= .4 (Quarter one)
40%= .4 (Quarter two)
20%= .2 (Final Exam)
When the decimals are added together, they should equal 1.
.4 + .4 + .2=1
This indicates that 100% of the semester grade (40% + 40% + 20%=100%) is represented.
- Once we have renamed the percentages as decimals, the math is a little easier. We now take each weight and multiply it by the grade for each category:
weight of a part of the semester (as a decimal) X grade in that same part of the semester
Let’s pretend our first quarter average is a 65, our second quarter average is a 78, and our final exam score is a 90:
First quarter: .4 X 65 = 26
Second quarter: .4 X 78 = 31.2
Final Exam: .2 X 90 = 18
- Next we add these weighted totals together:
26 + 31.2 + 18 = 75.2
- This final sum is the semester grade.
More Grade Calculators:
Also, check out our simple to use grade calculator and final grade calculator.
Semester Grade Calculator – FAQs
What is the difference between cumulative GPA and semester GPA?
Your cumulative GPA is a calculation of your average semester grades for all of your courses for all of the semesters you’ve been in school. Your semester GPA is a calculation of your average course grades for the current semester.
What is a semester grade calculator?
A semester grade calculator is a tool that allows students to calculate their estimated semester grade based on their current grades and the weight of each assignment or test.
How do I use the semester grade calculator?
To use the semester grade calculator, simply enter your current grades and the weight of each assignment or test. The calculator will then calculate your estimated semester grade.
What grades can I enter into the calculator?
You can enter any grades that you have received for the semester, including test scores, homework assignments, and class participation grades.
What if I have a test or project coming up, can I still use the calculator?
Yes, you can still use the calculator even if you have a test or project coming up. Just enter the grades you have so far and the calculator will give you the estimated grade, you can then use that grade to estimate your final grade after the test or project.
Is this calculator only for semester grades or can it be used for other grading periods?
The calculator can be used for any grading period, whether it’s a semester, a trimester, or a quarter.
Can this semester grade calculator be used for graduate or post-grad studies?
Yes. It can be used for any level of education, including graduate and post-grad studies, as long as the grades and weights are entered correctly.