This semester grade calculator will help you calculate your semester grades based on your quarterly grades and final grade weighting percentages.
How To Calculate Semester Grade
Class grades are calculated based on weighted average of your quarterly grades and final grades.
1) Calculate my Semester grade: If you already have your finals grade handy, then you can calculate your semester grade by factoring in your weighted quarter grades and final grades.
2) What do I have to get on the exam?: Because your final exam grades aren’t available until the very end, it isn’t included when calculating your current overall grade. So, all the other categories are factored in to calculate the minimum grade you need to score on the final exam.
Determining your semester grade
- To determine your semester grade in a course, we must first explore how the parts of the semester are weighted for a course. If we have a semester grade that is weighted 40% for first quarter, 40% for second quarter, and 20% for a final exam, then we need to begin by changing the percentages into decimals:
40%= .4 (Quarter one)
40%= .4 (Quarter two)
20%= .2 (Final Exam)
When the decimals are added together, they should equal 1.
.4 + .4 + .2=1
This indicates that 100% of the semester grade (40% + 40% + 20%=100%) is represented.
- Once we have renamed the percentages as decimals, the math is a little easier. We now take each weight and multiply it by the grade for each category:
weight of a part of the semester (as a decimal) X grade in that same part of the semester
Let’s pretend our first quarter average is a 65, our second quarter average is a 78, and our final exam score is a 90:
First quarter: .4 X 65 = 26
Second quarter: .4 X 78 = 31.2
Final Exam: .2 X 90 = 18
- Next we add these weighted totals together:
26 + 31.2 + 18 = 75.2
- This final sum is the semester grade.
More Grade Calculators: