So you checked your grades and your GPA is 2.8. Not sure what that means? Are you good to go, or do you have room for improvement? Read on to find out.
- A 2.8 GPA, or Grade Point Average, is equivalent to a B- letter grade on a 4.0 GPA scale.
- This means is equivalent to a 80-82%.
- The national average GPA is 3.0 which means a 2.8 is just a bit below average. With a few quick tips you can likely raise your GPA even higher!
Is a 2.8 GPA good?
High School Students:
A 2.8 GPA is just below the national average. Most colleges and universities look for a GPA of at least 3.0 on your application. In addition to working on your GPA, focus on building an impressive list of extra-curricular activities and earning high standardized test scores to raise your chances of acceptance to the school of your choice.
While a 2.8 GPA is high enough to apply for most graduate schools, it won’t catch the eye of admissions officers. With some hard work and planning you can likely raise your GPA. You’ll also want to seek out strong letters of recommendation, a good internship and high GMAT scores to help you gain admission to the graduate school of your choice.
How can I raise my 2.8 GPA?
Now that you know what your GPA means, it’s a good idea to think about ways you might raise it. Earning an high GPA takes commitment to your studies and completing work thoroughly, but if your motivated you can make it happen!
- Study First: With all the demands on students these days it can be easy to push off studying to the last minute. If you really want to raise your GPA set-aside study time each day and make it a priority.
- Go to your Teacher: No one knows better how to do well in a specific class than the teacher themself. If one class consistently trips you up, make an appointment with that teacher and ask how they suggest you move forward.
- Craft a Class Schedule: It’s more difficult to maintain a high GPA with a course load full of exceptionally challenging classes. Instead, try choosing one class that is a big challenge and balancing it out with other classes that come easily to you.
List of Colleges with average GPA of 2.8 or less
|School||State||SAT 25||SAT 75||ACT 25||ACT 75||Avg GPA||Accept %|